Wes Bos talks about the course and sticker platform he's built, the technology behind it, and the reasons why he's built parts of it, and used off the shelf pre-built options for other parts. This is a great discussion for those faced with buying a system and customizing it for your needs vs building your own.
Recording date: 2019-01-17
John Papa @John_Papa
Dan Wahlin @danwahlin
Ward Bell @WardBell
Wes Bos @wesbos
Someone to follow
- 01:47 Guest introduction
- 05:33 Is Express still the dominant tool to use?
- 06:41 What kind of headaches does building your own stack bring?
- 08:58 Why not use an off the shelf payment system?
- 10:20 Using Stripe from Node or React?
- 13:03 Sponsor: NativeScript
- 13:37 How was integrating Stripe?
- 16:07 Buy vs build
- 20:27 When did you create your course platform?
- 21:26 Why rewrite something that works?
- 25:59 Sponsor: DevIntersection
- 26:46 Nginx usage
- 31:27 How'd you decide what to use when you designed it?
- 32:10 What are you using for authentication?
- 36:29 Someone to follow