Episode 17: Serverless with Jeff Hollan
Jeff Hollan, Senior Program Manager for Microsoft Azure Functions, joins us to talk about serverless and talks about his serverless doorbell project.
Recording date: 2019-01-03
John Papa @John_Papa
Dan Wahlin @danwahlin
Jeff Hollan @JeffHollan
Someone to follow
- 01:20 Guest introductions
- 02:10 What is a project manager at Microsoft?
- 03:52 What's the profile of a customer you talk to?
- 05:39 Why would I use serverless over containers?
- 10:25 What is serverless? Where would I use it?
- 13:43 Why not use serverless for everything?
- 21:07 Sponsor: Progress
- 21:52 How does scaling work with serverless?
- 30:29 Being reactive vs proactive
- 33:25 Can you use serverless to monitor serverless?
- 37:50 Are there boundaries on the complexity of functions you can run?
- 39:52 Sponsor: IdeaBlade
- 40:52 Are people using microservices into serverless?
- 43:27 How easy is it to monitor functions on serverless?
- 49:51 What other options are available for serverless?
- 51:37 What's the most common language used at Azure?
- 52:49 Someone to follow